Apr

Posting an Update vs. Publishing a Post

posted on April 30th, 2015 in General,Intero Team,Quick Tips,Training; 8 Comments

Quick Tips, LinkedIn

We have been teaching professionals how to use LinkedIn effectively since 2011. So, we know that LinkedIn lingo can be confusing.

• InMail vs. Message
  • Connection vs. Contact
  • Endorsement vs. Recommendation
  • Advanced Search vs. Saved Search

…And the list goes on.

To add another to the list, let’s explore posting an update versus publishing a post. There is a difference.

In true quick tip fashion, I’m going to scratch the surface by giving you the skinny on the definitions.

Posting an update

This feature has lived in LinkedIn since the platform’s inception. Ever notice all of those scrolling updates on your homepage? Sure you have—articles shared by your connections or the discussions posted in Groups by your connections; these are examples of posted updates.

You can see in the image below that Erin posted her update with a link to a job. Then, Amy shared an update from Northwestern Mutual’s LinkedIn company page.

Google Chrome 6

Think of posted updates as brief statements or statuses. I think Angela Carson put it perfectly through her experience:

“…so I started to share it as a status message. Problem was, the post started to grow very long. I was ranting so much that it really wasn’t a status message anymore; it was pretty much a blog post. I decided to copy/paste the content over to the Publisher option…”

Posted updates are short, sweet, and accessible. My rule of thumb with updates is to keep them under 140 characters; I usually auto-share my LinkedIn updates to my Twitter account. This keeps me in check with my wording so that my Twitter followers can receive the same information just as easily.

Publishing a post

In 2014, LinkedIn expanded their once Influencer-only publishing platform to the entire membership of LinkedIn. Publishing allows members to write long-form posts about their expertise and interests. Posts are searchable on and off LinkedIn. People who are not in your network can also follow you from your long-form posts and receive updates when you publish next. It’s pretty cool.

Your published posts live on your LinkedIn profile:

Google Chrome 7

DO NOT use the Publishing Platform to copy/paste third-party content. This is called plagiarizing. Where is the perfect place in LinkedIn to re-post third-party content? You guessed it: Posting it as an update!

DO NOT use the Publishing Platform to promote your events. I broke this rule. >Gasp< Yes, your LinkedIn professor did not use the Publishing Platform as it was intended for her first published post. While I made a faux pas, I have elected not to delete it as I have used it many times as a LinkedIn teaching opportunity.

Google Chrome

Remember these published posts live on your Profile and are accessible until you delete them (though they are not meant to be deleted).

Now the question begs: Where do you post an update and publish a post? From the exact same place at the top of your homepage when you log into LinkedIn:

Google Chrome 8

Remember: posted updates = short-form and published posts = long-form.

We will continue this blog series on clearing up the confusion between LinkedIn terminologies. What else do you need clarity on? Let us know.

Currently there's 8 comments on “Posting an Update vs. Publishing a Post”

• Sam

commented on July 26, 2016

Hi Lindsey, thanks for sharing! Why exactly is it not recommended to promote events through a post on LinkedIn?

• Lindsey Stemann

commented on July 26, 2016

Great question, Sam. A primary reason to consider is that events become outdated once they are completed, which means the post would become outdated as well. Maybe a compromise is to use the same post ‘shell’ and rotate out the content per event?

• Sam

commented on July 29, 2016

Thanks, Lindsey, great point, did not think of that. So at least the core of a post needs to be somewhat long-term. For instance, the company I’m working for is organizing a key event on nutrition. The fact that the event is taking place would be an update, while the underlying strategic rationale for the event could bethe core of a post.

• Amanda Walter

commented on September 14, 2016

Hi Lindsey, Does LinkedIn’s newsfeed algorythm weight updates and published posts equally or is one given more eyeballs than the other?

• Colleen McKenna

commented on September 16, 2016

Hi Amanda,

No one really knows LinkedIn’s algorithm and they continue to change it like all the search engines do to stay ahead of people trying to figure it out.

I can say with a fair degree of certainty that LinkedIn is going to give more value to original content than 3rd party content. If the original content is good LinkedIn may serve it up to more people than your 3rd party content.

Consistent posting and participating regardless of original or 3rd party will keep visibility up.

• Penny Newton-Hurley

commented on November 28, 2016

Hi Lindsey and Colleen
    This is great info. To throw in another aspect, I have just set up a company page for my small company, The Communication Troubleshooter. I was thinking that it would be good to post my blogs on here instead of my personal page, to promote my brand. Two questions – is this the right thinking, or should I be promoting myself more (after all I have lots of connections personally but none yet on my company)? Also, I can’t find a place to put posts on the company page, only updates. Any help would be great. Many thanks.

• Colleen McKenna

commented on November 29, 2016

Penny,
      Great questions. We like to begin at our website, then we post to our LinkedIn Company Page and then share from there. Additionally, whoever has written the post will post as a long form post on their individual profile. It may sound like a lot, but it provides the opportunity for people to find and learn more about you and your thinking regardless of where they find you.

You can only add updates on the Company Page, you’re correct. You can copy/paste the link from your website. For your long form post you can copy/paste the entire blog post.

Hope this helps. Colleen

• Danny Young

commented on July 4, 2019

Great post Lindsey, thanks for sharing. I have a question – I know I can share an update on the LinkedIn app, am I able to share a post too, or does that need to be done on a computer?

We would love to hear your comments